I GOT TO WAKE UP TODAY!
Day 19: May 5, 2018
PHOTOS FROM TODAY’S GATHERING AND SCAR PHOTOS
1. I woke up in less pain this morning. I could think. My brain could function and focus. It was completely amazing. Praying for that tomorrow, also!
2. It’s Saturday, so I wasn’t stressed about working or failing at working.
3. Kayla is coming over on Monday to help me wash clothes. I’ve figured out that I can place items in the washer and carefully put items in the dryer, but I can’t bend down, take the clothes out and fold them. Jamie and I are going to start the process tomorrow.
4. I didn’t sleep last night, but I stretched a lot throughout the night and I think that helped me be in less pain today. If I don’t sleep again, I’m going to stretch again. Do what works and keep doing it!
5. A friend, Darlene, gave me an option to drink protein drinks to heal faster because that worked for a friend of hers who had neck surgery. That’s awesome. I drank a Slim Fast and it hurt my stomach, although I didn’t think it would. I know now that it’s the end of the day and my stomach is yelling at me. I will try some other options. If any of you know something that’s worked for you or others, please let me know.
6. I got to spend time with my brother, Mike; my nephews, Mikey and Austen; Mikey’s wife, Kiki, and their 2 children, Rydel & Kali; Mom & Dad; my sis, Kathey, Glen and Mark & Joe, friends of Glen’s and most importantly Jamie, Jacob and Judy. I felt normal. This outing was approved by my doctors. I went to my sister’s house and had homemade banana pudding that my sis made and homemade guacamole that Mom made. Those are 2 of my fave foods! I stayed on the couch with my neck safely locked in most of the time, but, it was a beautiful day and I did go outside to enjoy the weather. As soon as I got tired, we left. I’ll only get stronger and stronger. I’m so thankful I got to see family!
7. Being in the car is terrifying. I can’t wait until that gets better. Even though I’m wearing the neck brace while in the car, I’m mortified that someone will hit the car. I trust Jamie to drive anywhere.
8. One thing made me sad – I’m usually the Aunt or person who always attracts the babies or young children, but I can’t right now because of my current physical condition. Luckily, it’s temporary. I’ll be able to play with Kali and Rydel next time. Kali is so sweet and she immediately came to sit next to me and she gave me her rolypoly and her princess wand. But, she was a little too active, so she had to go play elsewhere.
9. Hugging is hard, but makes me happy. They have to be careful hugs.
10. I’m happier today. My sadness is better and I have no anger today. It was a good emotional day, which makes my physical day better. The 2 go hand in hand. I know this from past experience. The power of being positive is strong. I know it’s hard to be positive all the time, but, keep up the good work!
11. I watched the new Jumanji with Bella, Julian & Jamie. This is my second time to see it. It’s funny and I recommend it if you’ve not seen it.
12. Jacob is staying the night with me and I’m excited. Jacob will be here until next Thursday.
13. My swallowing isn’t better, but, I ate meat for the first time since surgery! Meatballs are fairly soft. Jamie cut them up for me. Thing is, I can only eat so much of anything and I start coughing and choking. I’m not going to stop trying. I can’t eat any kind of block cheese or cheese cubes. It gets stuck in my throat. I have an amazing gag reflex, so I don’t actually choke. It makes me cough if it’s thin liquids, but, if it’s food, then it gets caught and I can generally cough it up. Sorry, but, I know some of you know what I mean, and some of you may go through this. Educational information.
14. Jamie took a photo of my back incision from the actual top of the incision to the bottom. It’s gnarly! I like my hair length, so, get used to it. I’m ok with it.
15. The front incision looks as if there will be 2 lines, but, time will tell.
16. I got to make Judy happy today. A friend she knew in high school passed away and so she was sad today. Making her feel better made my heart happy.
17. When we were at my sister’s, Jamie got to hang out with the guys outside on the back porch and just enjoy guy time. That’s so important. I’m glad he enjoyed himself. He also had a chance to ride his motorcycle this afternoon. All of that makes me happy.
18. We watched SNL, which is our weekly routine. Love getting back to life and Jacob watched with us!
19. My goal is to start sleeping in my bed soon. Jamie and I are still camping out on the couch. My first attempt in bed didn’t go so well.
20. Jamie now has a wedge pillow and it has really helped his snoring. I’m very happy for both of us.
TOMORROW WILL BE BETTER. You just have to keep reminding yourself that the worst doesn’t last forever. This has worked for me so many times throughout my life.
THANK YOU to the following people for helping me in some way today! Jamie, Mom, Dad, Judy, Jacob, Mark, Joe, Mikey, Kiki, Kali, Rydel, Kathey, Glen, Bella, Kayla, Mike, Solange, Austen, Michael & Leon.
If you or anyone you know has any kind of cervical or lumbar spinal issues, the staff at Seton Brain & Spine Institute has everything you need. It’s a process, but very necessary! I had my 2nd neck surgery done there, but Dr. Eeric Truumees did this 3rd surgery, and he’s simply amazing, right along with his staff, Sarah, Ariel & Amy. Sarah never ceased to make me feel hopeful while I was in the hospital, and let me tell you, Dr. Truumees comes and checks on you, too! Great staff. Great crew. I recommend all the different doctors at that organization!